Step 2 – How to Set Up Your Blog with Siteground
Just like other hosting platforms, Siteground hosting provides various features that makes it the ideal shared hosting for WordPress website. Even if you have been using other hosting platforms you will fall in love with Siteground the moment you start using it. This is basically because of the quality of services that it offers. In addition to all the features that you will find in other shared hostings, Siteground has also done a good job to ensure that its WordPress hosting is optimized. They have an in-house caching mechanism that ensures that the WordPress blog loads faster. This makes it one of the best since website loading time is a very important feature when it comes to search engines.
While taking this in mind, you will love their excellent caching technology that is different from other hosting platforms. This technology has four different options that you can start from your Siteground dashboard. In addition to this, they also have WordPress plugins. If you are new and you have never purchased Siteground then the first step is to purchase it so that you can enjoy over 60% discount.
How to install WordPress blog on Siteground
In order to follow this well you should have the login details of your Siteground ready. Once you have reached the dashboard click the cPanel found under my account to enable you to go to the Siteground cPanel. Siteground has a cpanel that is among the most popular control panels. This makes it easier especially if you do not know anything about the technical stuff. It can enable you to handle the technical stuff with a lot of ease. Siteground also has softaculous auto-installer script that makes it easier to install many web applications with a lot of ease and only a few clicks. Here is how you can have your WordPress blog up and running within 5 minutes.
Logging to the Siteground website dashboard
· Click on my account and go to the cPanel.
· Inside the dashboard, click on WordPress under auto installer. This will take you to the powered WordPress installer page where you can click on the install to start the process of WordPress installation. On this page, you should start configuring your WordPress installation. Since you only need to configure a few settings, most of the steps are straight forward.
· Choose the protocol. In this, you can choose the most suitable one. This can be www with your domain name. Using non-www will ensure that your URL is a bit shorter. More so, there is no direct benefit of using www on your name.
· Choose domain. If you have many domains on your Siteground account, you can just select the domain from the drop down and choose the one that you want to install.
· In directory. If you want to install it on a subcategory like domain.com you can add your blog in this area. However, in most instances, you would just leave it blank without any effect.
· Tabled prefix and database name. No need to make any changes here.
· Site name and description. You can then add the details of your domain name straightaway or you can just do it after you have installed the WordPress.
· Next, you should configure the details for logins. The siteground will suggest the username and password for you by default. You can either use the ones you have been given or use any name and password that you have chosen. However, it’s important to avoid using the administration username. Also, ensure that you choose a strong password to prevent hackers from accessing your website.
· Also, you need to ensure that the administration email is running. This is because in case you are not using your domain address you can use this email address for your site.
· Next, click and start installing and softaculous will install the blog for you within just 2 minutes. Once it’s done you will receive a confirmation link indicating that they are through.
· Finally, type the domain.com and you will see your WordPress login page that you can then access. You can then use the login details that you created previously and you will be directed to your WordPress dashboard. However, before writing your first content there are a few things that you must configure.
What to check after installing your WordPress
· Delete default pages and WordPress post.
· Go to settings then permalink and then choose post name.
· Go to settings then general and configure your time zone, description, and site name.
· Go to settings discussions and then configure your comments area. If you are not sure, you can follow this guide.
Normally, comments sections is usually one of the worst sources of spams. Apart from the spam it also affects other sections such as discussion forums, other platforms, and software. However, it’s very hard to completely stop spam from interfering with your website. Even if you do away with the comments section spammers will still have a way of reaching of submitting spam to your website. While this might not be displayed on your website they will take a huge chunk of space on your database thereby increasing the overall size of the space. The best thing to do is to moderate comments, hold the ones that have links, use a blacklist to prevent the comments, and close comments on older web pages and posts that might come with spams. You can also install anti spam plugins.
There are also a variety of plugins that you need to install to ensure that your WordPress blog is up and running without any issues. These include
If you do this, your WordPress blog will be up and running within a short while and it will be ready for publishing. Always ensure that you are using the best WordPress theme. If you cannot find one among the free themes it’s important to buy one. The good thing is that they are not that expensive and you can be able to find an affordable one without any problem.